Friday, April 10, 2009

POSTED 4-10-09 CHECKERS THE CLOWN AT THE RACE TRACK!

For you that don't know. This is "Checkers the Clown". He passes out candy to children and also adults at Highland Rim Speedway. First let me start by saying, I have written many articles about racers, promoters, tracks and etc. but sometimes we forget about people that help make racing a fun place to be. As most of you already know I am from Bowling Green, KY. but have visited Highland Rim hundreds if not thousands of time in my life. Most of the time I sat in the section at turns three and four. For years Checkers the Clown would come up to that section with a bag of stuffed teddy bears and other animals and toss them to the young children and sometimes older KIDS! Then he gets the candy out, my favorite part, especially the tootsie roll pops. With the economy being bad, people laid off work and the newspapers and TV's full of bad news it's comforting to see the smile on Checkers face and the smiles he leaves behind on others. I for one would like to feature "Checkers the Clown" on this site and say a very special thanks for brighten up the little kids life's (Big ones too!) Keep up the good work and may God bless you. Odell Turner

1 comment:

Sambry said...

Odell, your right! Highland Rim would not be the same without Checker's. He is a wonderful person (and I'm scared of clowns) but I think he's great! He is a very stand up guy and all the money that he makes working at the track, he donotes to all the kid's who need help at the hospital! The world needs a whole lot more people like Checker's!!