Wednesday, April 28, 2010

POSTED 4-28-10 HARD CHARGER AWARD FOR RACES 4-23-10

My choice for the "HARD CHARGER AWARD" this week goes to driver of the Front Runner Class.  Josh Wyatt #1 with an impressive second place finish.  Josh has had some good runs at Beech Bend Raceway.  He won at KMS awhile back.  I don't think Josh has had a win a BBR.  On Friday night I watched Josh drive his line and hold off a really good car of Jeff Hogan #41.  Josh is another young driver at Beech Bend Raceway Park with alot to come on down the road.  Great job Josh!  And congratulations! 

I don't give out other awards, but this week, I am adding two more awards.  First, I am giving the "GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD".   As most of you know, I stand on the wall and shoot photos all night.  As I was shooting Friday night, I saw something that most of you may not have seen.  During the front runner race, as the cars were going down the front stretch, the lead cars were coming upon a car to lap him.  As they got near turn one, this lap car drifts up torward the wall and throws his hand out the driver side window to motion the lead cars around him.  I have driven stockcars and came upon a lap car not knowing which way he was going.  This caused me to lose the lead or the race.  So my "GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD" goes to #25 David Alessio.  Great driver and great sportsmanship.  Congratulations to David!


The third award is "HARD LUCK AWARD".  This award goes to a driver that could have and maybe should gotten the HARD CHARGER AWARD.  He drove the best race I have seen him drive in sometime.   I think he could or may have won the race.   This award goes to Sportsman driver, Daymond Long, driver of the #28 Budweiser car.  I was confused as to why Daymond didn't have the lead after the caution came out.  After talking to the officials, I understood the call.  However, it is a call I don't like, but it is fair for everyone.  With the transponders on the car, it counts each lap at the finish line in front of the flag stand.  And on a caution we go back to the last lap.  Phillip Akin #44 never really passed Daymond as a complete pass.   As they crossed the line, #44 was six inches (a guess) in front of #28.   In turn two, Phillip got up high and #6 William Johnson, passed #44.  But the flag came out and as I said earlier we go back to the last completed lap.   The transponder showed #44 ahead of #28 followed by #6.  So just inches put Phillip in the lead on the restart.  To me this is almost like the lucky dog in NASCAR.   I am friends with Phillip and in no way am I saying that Phillip didn't deserve the race, it's the rules.  Just a very bad break for Daymond.  Better luck next race Daymond!

No comments: