Saturday, January 12, 2008

POSTED 1-12-08 PHOTO OF EDDIE GROSS DRIVING FOR ODELL TURNER IN THE # 94

I took this Picture at Beech Bend Raceway at the pits in 1988. This was my car. I drove it in the street class and Eddie Gross, pictured here, drove for me in the figure-8. This was my first real stock car. There is a cool story behind this car. I had built an enduro car for Highland Rim a year before this and had never drove in a race. I totaled the car out and decided that I would take pictures and hang up racing. Then Joe Ray, a racer at Beech Bend, knew I wanted to race and he told me that he had a Chevy Nova that he had put bars in and that he would give me the car for free. Wayne "Tiny" Reece and I drove to Portland, TN. to see the car and Joe told us to come on back and get it if I liked it. We didn't have a trailer with us, but Tiny said let's drive it back to your house in Bowling Green. I told Tiny we can't do that it don't have any glass, like a windshield or headlights, turn signal's and it had bars in it with no paint job. Tiny said you drive right behind me and I will drive the stock car, the rest is history. We took off out of Portland, TN. and down Interstate 65 to Bowling Green. Can you believe that and we made it. I mess ole Tiny and them good ole day's. By the way Eddie totaled this car in the figure-8 later that year in 1988.